What should I do with my old or unused latex and oil base paint?
You can bring your used and unused cans of latex paint and oil base paint to the HHW Facility for recycling or safe disposal. It is illegal to dispose of used latex or oil base paint down a drain or in the trash. Doing so can contaminate water supplies and damage our environment. Your participation in paint recycling programs helps keep Marin clean and green.
Paint related products accepted
- Adhesives, Glue, Putty, Caulk
- Latex Paint
- Oil Base Paint
- Paint Removers
- Paint Strippers
- Wood Preservatives
How do I safely dispose of my paint related products?
- Do not mix paint related products together
- Try to keep the original labels and containers if possible
- Label your products if possible when the labels are rusted or missing
- Do not store your products for more than one year
- Store your products in a location where there are cover from the rain and heat to keep left over paint related products in good condition
- Keep your paint can lids sealed tightly to prevent the paint from drying out
- Store your paint in its original container
What can I do to help?
- Reduce the amount of hazardous waste you produce by buying only what is needed to get the job done
- Donate your extra or left over paint to a school, community organization or to an art program
- Try to buy water base paint instead of oil base paint
- Bring your extra paint to the Marin HHW Facility
- Take advantage of our Reuse Program by using the materials placed at the Reuse Storage located at the HHW Facility