The Household Hazardous Waste Program started a pilot pick-up of household hazardous waste in July 2012 in the City of San Rafael. The goal of this program is to keep away from the landfill hazardous materials that could affect our health and the environment.
The amount and quantities of materials that we collect through our pick-up program are smaller than the ones we accept at our facility. We only offer pick-ups to single-family units located in specific areas of San Rafael. The collection fee is $25 and the charge will be added to your garbage bill. Please, give us a call at 415-485-6806 to find out if this service is available to you. For information about items accepted and appointment times, please read the instructions that you will find in the following link:
- San Rafael Residents: San Rafael Hazardous Waste Brochure (PDF)
What is accepted?
- Household Batteries
- Aerosol cans that are not empty
- Latex paint in sealed containers (limit 5 gallons)
- Motor oil in sealed or capped containers (limit 5 gallons)
- Motor oil filters (limit 10 pounds)
- CFLs and/or fluorescent tubes under 4ft in length
- Computers and other electronic devices
- Cell phones
- Mercury-containing devices like thermostats, thermometers, switches, and relays
Note: Only the items listed above will be collected. All containers must have original labels. Do NOT mix different items together.
What is NOT accepted?
- Medical Wastes
- Fire Extinguishers*
- Leaking containers
- Household garbage
- Biological or radioactive waste
- Lab Chemicals
- Anything NOT on the list above
*Sharps in designated containers and fire extinguishers can be dropped off at the Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility free of charge.
** Appliances can be dropped off at the Marin Resource Recovery Center for a charge.